Saturday, November 15, 2008

Saturday Morning Coffee

Joy comes in many forms, but for me one of the most simple pleasures in life is Saturday morning coffee. Not that Coffee any other day is bad, but Saturday morning is often the first day of the week that I can sit in my comfty green chair, feet up, news on, fuzzy brown blanket keeping my frozen toes toasty warm with a steaming hot glass of morning blend coffee with just the perfect amount of french vanilla creamer to make the otherwise black doffee the perfect shade of tan. Any other day I can't fully appreciate my yummy cup of coffee, but on Saturday mornings while the rest of the house is quiet, and the morning sun has not yet made it's appearance it is truly the most tranquil time of the week. It is seldom that I allow myself to take time just for me, but this is my time each week and I cherish it.

Typically, my daughter Bella who is by far my most affectionate and snuggly child, somehow always wakes up right before the sun comes up. I hear her footsteps against the hard wood floor as she rounds the corner from the hallway into the greatroom. Her warm pink cheeks, sleepy eyes, and messy hair warm my heart. Before she gets to my chair I lift my fuzzy brown blanket for her to jump in and snuggle. It's our routine. Coffee in my left hand, Bella snuggled on my right leg, her soft warm cheek against my chest and I flip from the news (that I dearly love to watch) to her favorite morning cartoons. I continue to sip on my coffee until Abby wakes up and then my coffee hand becomes occupied as Abby snuggles into my lap and we discuss her night time accomplishments - staying dry all night, sleeping the whole night through in her own bed, having good dreams. Saturday mornings before the sun comes up is the absolute best time of the week. Coffee, news, snuggle and cartoons - what more could a mom ask for?

I am so happy to be me!

No comments: